Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hateship Loveship 2013

This could have also been the poster for Welcome To Me, minus the bags plus the swan coach.
So yesterday I spent a good hour just watching Kristen Wiig SNL skits on YouTube. I also watched her get interviewed by Jimmy Fallon as she was pretending to be the Mother of Dragons, Michael Jordan and Harry Styles. I have seen those videos before but I sometimes find that watching some of the funniest ladies on earth relaxes me. These videos made me remember her small, nice and awkward film Welcome to Me. Instead of watching that movie for the second time, I decided I should watch one of her films that I haven`t seen yet. After much debate on which Kristen Wiig film to see, (other choices were The Diary of a Teenage Girl, Girl Most Likely and Nasty Baby) I settled on Hateship Loveship simply because I have not heard about this movie at all. Will I like this movie like her other films?

In this film, Kristen plays Johanna Parry, a woman who has been taking care of a bed-ridden older woman since she was 15. At the beginning of the film, the older woman dies and Johanna was sent to Solon, Iowa to take care of Sabitha (Hailee Steinfield) and her grandfather (Nick Nolte). There she also meets Sabitha`s father Ken (Guy Pearce) who clearly has done something bad since he was clearly not that welcome to stay at his father-in-law`s home.
Meet Johanna and her $20000 suitcase.

Twenty minutes in is when we can kind of see where the story leads us. She receives a note from Ken thanking her for taking care of her daughter while he`s working at a motel in Chicago. Being the nicest girl Johanna is, she`s obviously super lonely too and maybe this has been the first correspondence she has received in a long time, she writes him a letter. Sabitha`s friend offers to mail the letter for her but instead they pretended to be Ken and replies to her. Future correspondence are made through emails.

These made Johanna think Ken is really in love with her and she buys a new dress which she assumes will also be her wedding dress. She also left Iowa and moved to Chicago thinking Ken wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.
Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom

Immediately after seeing the film, I felt satisfied. I felt like this is what I needed after a long day. That does not mean this film is that good. It was just a really exhausting day and I needed to see something light. There were several times when I mouthed the words Is that it for I feel like there`s always something lacking in every aspect of the movie. I am very fond of Kristen Wiig but this specific performance almost felt like an extension or another version of her other character in her dramatic films and not an entirely different character but I still like her. Hailee is replaceable in this role, any other young actress can do what she did here. Guy Pearce was hot. I mean physically hot and he acted well enough.
Nick Nolte was good too. So, every lead`s performance was good but the one actor who really acted here was Jennifer Jason Leigh. There was just tension in every scene she`s in and she was rarely seen here. But when she`s on, she`s ON.
I brought Chinese food!!!!!!

This movie started with someone with very low expectations about life and the people around her. At some point in the film, she expected too much although her too much was just normal for most of us. At some point she wanted to be loved and she was quick in going back to reality when it was clear her romantic feelings were unrequited. Suddenly, she was fine being a caregiver again, probably for the rest of her life which is a little sad.

If you are looking for big confrontation scenes, a lot of crying, a lot of angry people or scenes that will haunt you for months, I tell you, this movie will not give you any of that. This movie, however, will let you see how regular people live their lives and in my opinion, this film shows us how we should react to the negative things that happen and they happen everyday. I will recommend this film to a select few people and we`re probably going to watch it like I did, after a very long and tiring day and we do not have that much energy to argue and think about what`s going to happen. Watching this movie is like watching people walk the streets in silence. Whatever that means to you.

Rating: 8 out of 10




No comments:

Post a Comment